All about the Artist
A career that started in a French toilet at 13…
Hi, I’m Steve and I create energetic and colourful oil paintings for discerning art lovers to appreciate every day, that not only enhances their home and provides them with a talking point when entertaining guests, but also acts as a long-term investment.
In December 2017, I gave up a career in corporate management to become a full-time artist. I have drawn and painted for most of my life but mainly in my spare time, what little I had in my hectic schedule. For many years now, my wife and I had invested in art and we have an eclectic mix of artists and styles, that each create new emotions every day that we look at them; often bringing a smile.
It was during our latest (and hopefully last) house renovation (you can read more about that in this Irish Times article) and the need to fill empty wall space, that I decided to paint some local scenes to display on our walls and enhance our home.
It wasn’t long before I started taking orders from friends and family before realising that this was always my passion and I wanted to create something unique for everybody.
What do I do?
I paint local Irish landscapes, although not exclusively, with a contemporary and unique perspective. I work primarily in oils:
- Compared to watercolour, acrylics, pastel and print, oil paints have more pigment in them, allowing richer, more vivid colors.
- Oil is much more flexible and can be applied in thick layers, which I use to give a 3-dimensional effect.
- Oil paintings will last well beyond my lifetime (and yours) and are very much a long-term investment.
- I use my own medium recipe, which I add to the oil paint, that gives the paint more flexibility, and a glossier finish; it does take longer to dry though!
- I paint every day and develop and learn new techniques and play with new tools as I go, which refines and enhances my style; like anything in life, the more you train, the better you become.
- All of my paintings come in high-quality wood frames, are ready to hang and with a certificate of authenticity.
- I also sell Fine Art Giclée Prints (replicas) of my artwork, both mounted and framed.
- You can also come and visit me in the Studio; I don’t bite.
I wasn’t always an artist
During my early teens I joined the school’s Combined Cadet Force with the lure of tales of derring-do and the vast activities from mountaineering, sailing, gliding and powered-flying that I spent most of my weekends and summer holidays partaking in. It was about the same time that I went on a French exchange to Rennes; my exchange’s step-father, Charly, was an artist. The family had a large scroll of paper in the toilet and Charly and I started to draw caricatures of each other that became more elaborate over the week or so I was with them. He introduced me to his colleagues and presented me with the full backlog of their cartoon magazine, which on return from France I started copying the drawings; my passion for art had started!
Despite my passion for art, I went on to study Aeromechanical Systems Engineering and had a career in the Royal Air Force as an Engineering Officer, travelling the world and getting to understand different cultures and ways of life. I became a Chartered Engineer, graduated with an MBA, qualified as a mountain expedition leader and gained my private pilot’s licence. I then set up a management consultancy business contracting in a diverse set of organisations such as the National Health Service, Ministry of Defence, a number of private aviation businesses and Twycross Zoo, working from locations in Cambridge, Oxford, London and Dublin. I moved to Dublin permanently in April 2015.
My other interests
I am very much a family man, father of 5, with 5 grandchildren (I know, I look to young – I am too young!) and enjoy time with my wife and kids. I also like to give back to people and society wherever I can and am an avid supporter in fundraising.
I am a Trustee and Advisory Board Member of Global Angels. I also manage a schoolboy football team at St Joseph’s and I’m a licensed Football Association of Ireland coach. If I get the time, I like to cycle, run marathons (6 to date), ski, scuba dive, attend my local gym and read; it’s always good to keep the body and mind active!
You can also subscribe to receive:
- a 10% discount on all original or Giclèe prints,
- early notification of when new paintings are available,
- advanced notice of upcoming events or exhibitions,
- a chance to win a Giclèe Print each month.
21st – 27th September 2020 – Solo Exhibition, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council Pop-Up, Dun Laoghaire.
19th – 25th October 2020 – Solo Exhibition, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council Pop-Up, Dun Laoghaire.
23rd – 29th November 2020 – Solo Exhibition, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council Pop-Up, Dun Laoghaire.
14th – 20th December 2020 – Solo Exhibition, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council Pop-Up, Dun Laoghaire.
14th December 2019 – Artist at Home, Open Studio, York Road, Dun Laoghaire, County Dublin.
15th – 17th November 2019 – Art Source, RDS, Dublin.
27th May – 2nd June 2019 – Solo Exhibition, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council Pop-Up, Dun Laoghaire.
22nd – 28th April 2019 – Solo Exhibition, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown County Council Pop-Up, Dun Laoghaire.
5th – 9th December 2018 – Gifted Fair, RDS, Dublin.
9th – 11th November 2018 – Art Source, RDS, Dublin.
19th – 22nd October 2018 – RMS Leinster Exhibition, The Royal St George Yacht Club, Dun Laoghaire.
6th – 12th October 2018 – RMS Leinster Exhibition, National Maritime Museum of Ireland, Dun Laoghaire.